Kentucky River Authority logo featuring trees and a river

Lock and Dam 9

Lock and Dam 9 was built from 1901-1903 and backs supports a nineteen mile long pool of water. Unlike the first eight locks and dams, Lock and Dam 9 were the first structures to be built entirely of concrete. The structures are located one hundred and fifty seven and a half miles above the mouth of the Ohio River. A cutoff wall was placed in the lock chamber in 2001.


  • 1901-1903 Original construction of lock and dam
  • 1906 Auxiliary dam was constructed to close off where the esplanade washed out
  • 1993-1995 Sheet piling was driven upstream of the main dam, gravel backfill was placed between the dam and sheet pilling and capped with concrete, derrick stone was placed below the dam, sheet pilling with gravel backfill was placed upstream of the auxiliary dam with a concrete cap
  • 2001 Concrete cutoff wall built in lock chamber


Locks and Dams