An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky
Lock and Dam 1 were built from 1836-1842 and support a 27-mile long pool of water. The original dam was a timber crib structure, consisting of an outside frame of timbers filled with dirt and rock, and the original lock was stone masonry. The structures are located four miles above the mouth of the Ohio River. Lock 1 was shut down in 2007 because of mechanical and structural problems.