An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky
Lock and Dam 5 were built from 1836-1842 and support a fourteen mile long pool of water. The original dam was a timber crib structure, consisting of an outside frame of timbers filled with dirt and rock, and the original lock was stone masonry. The structures are located eighty two miles above the mouth of the Ohio River. A concrete cutoff wall was placed in the lock in 2006.