An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky
Lock and Dam 13 were built from 1909-1915 and support a nine mile long pool. The original lock and dam were concrete structures. The structures are located two hundred and forty nine miles above the mouth of the Ohio River. A water release valve was installed in 1999 to transfer water downstream in times of drought.