An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky
Lock and Dam 6 were built from 1888-1891 and support a twenty one mile long pool of water. The original dam was a timber crib structure, consisting of an outside frame of timbers filled with dirt and rock, and the original lock was stone masonry. The structures are located ninety six miles above the mouth of the Ohio River. A cutoff wall was placed inside of the lock in 2006.