An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky
Lock and Dam 7 were built from 1896-1897 and support a twenty three mile long pool of water. The original dam was a timber crib structure, consisting of an outside frame of timbers filled with dirt and rock, and the original lock was stone masonry. The structures are located one hundred and seventeen miles above the mouth of the Ohio River. A cutoff wall was placed inside the lock in 2006.