An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky
Lock and Dam 12 were built from 1907-1910 and support a nineteen mile long pool of water. The original lock and dam were concrete structures. The structures are located two hundred and twenty one miles above the mouth of the Ohio River. A water release valve was installed in 1998 to transfer water downstream in times of drought.