An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky
Lock and Dam 8 were built from 1898-1900 and support a seventeen and a half mile long pool of water. The original dam was a timber crib structure, consisting of an outside frame of timbers filled with dirt and rock, and the original lock was stone masonry. The structures are located one hundred and forty miles above the mouth of the Ohio River. A cutoff wall was placed inside of the lock in 2001.