Open Records Requests

​​​​To obtain documents through the Open Records Act from the Finance and Administration Cabinet, submit an open records request directly to the Office of General Counsel’s Open Records Custodian. Requests must be (1) made in writing and (2) hand delivered or submitted via mail, email, or fax to the Open Records Custodian.

For quick, easy, and immediate access to electronic copies of state expenditures, budgets, employee salaries and contracts, try searching before submitting a formal open records request. Kentucky’s Transparency website is a multi-agency effort to provide a more transparent, accountable state government, and to allow you the opportunity to find out how your tax dollars are spent.

Additionally, information regarding active or recently closed state solicitations for goods and services may be located on Kentucky’s Vendor Self Service System (VSS).

Instructions to Requestors:

Given the large number of Request for Bids (RFB) and Request for Proposals (RFP) the Commonwealth issues annually, if you request these documents through the open records act, please include the RFB and/or RFP number of the solicitation, along with a complete description the specific documents you are requesting. Without sufficient descriptive information in the request, it is virtually impossible for the processing office of the agency to determine if they possess responsive documents. Should the proper information not be included, your request may be delayed or denied.

Requestors shall certify if the open records request is for a commercial purpose, such as requests for procurement documents, including but not limited to competitors’ bids. Commercial purpose requests will require the payment of a processing fee, in advance of receipt of any documents, to reimburse the agency for staff time necessary to locate, review and compile your requests. [See KRS 61.874(4)].

To obtain and/or confirm the descriptive name and identifying number of the documents requested, please refer to the Purchasing and eProcurement website.

  1. On the left side under Purchasing and Procurement Services, click on Vendor Self Service (VSS) and Active Solicitations.
  2. On the left side click on Public Access.
  3. Use the Business Opportunities tab to view a list of solicitations. You may also search ​for specific solicitations through the keyword search.

Also, please verify that a contract has been awarded through the eProcurement website before requesting a copy of the Master Agreement and/or bid documents. If it has not been awarded, your request may be denied.

If you need assistance with locating solicitation information for your request, the Customer Resource Center can be reached by email at or phone (502-564-9641 or toll-free 877-973-HELP). The Help Desk is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. EST.

By statute, responses to open records requests are required to be made within five (5) business days after the Open Records Custodian’s receipt. Should the requested documents not be available within that timeframe, a responsive letter will be sent identifying the earliest anticipated date of their availability.

Please note that the Office of General Counsel does not have direct access to any documents or information responsive to an open records request. This office is responsible for:

  • monitoring the receipt of the request;
  • forwarding the request to the respective Finance agency processing office;
  • receiving the responsive documents from the agency processing office;
  • reviewing the responsive documents for proprietary content; and,
  • preparing the responsive letter to the requestor with an attachment containing the documents responsive to the request pursuant to KRS Chapter 61.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact the open records custodian at:​.

Send completed open records request form(s) to:

Fax: (502) 696-5833

Mail/hand delivery: 
Office of General Counsel
Attn. Open Records Custodian
200 Mero St., 5th Floor
Frankfort, KY  40622​